e1000 and Scyld 28cz

Wade Hampton wade.hampton at nsc1.net
Tue Sep 2 14:04:19 EDT 2003

I'm upgrading my first test cluster to 1G ethernet
using the onboard e1000 parts on my nodes (Tyan
motherboards with eepro100 and e1000).

I have not gotten the nodes to boot and recognize
the e1000 cards using a beoboot floppy.

When I tried the latest driver from Intel (5.1.13),
I could not get an e1000 module for my node boot
floppy until I did the following:

    make KCFLAGS="-D__BOOT_KERNEL_H_ -D__module__beoboot
    mv e1000.o /lib/modules/2.2.19-14.beobeoboot/net

I also added the following to /etc/beowulf/config
    pci   0x8086   0x1008   e1000

When I try to boot this floppy, it stopped booting after loading the
e1000 driver and appeared to hang.

I then removed the e1000.o modules and tried the Scyld RPM
for 4.4.12.   This seemed to hang at the same location.

Any help in this matter would be appreciated.
Wade Hampton