Comparisions,, - use ROCKS 2.3.2

Erwan Velu erwan at mandrakesoft.com
Sun Sep 28 12:45:49 EDT 2003

> Erwan,
[...]
> ROCKS is simply that flexible...  Take 20 nodes out of your cluster,
> place two on a desk for 10 people.  Teach them about ROCKS and parallel
> processing using two nodes and a crossover cable.  Put the nodes back in
> the rack and in 5-8 minutes reload all 20 nodes back as compute nodes...
> WHILE THE ORIGINAL CLUSTER IS STILL RUNNING.  No impacts to operations.

For that kind of applications, our choice was just making a subcluster
using MAUI. You can tell this 20 nodes to be a subcluster ( a partition)
called subcluster1, then you can assign users to this partition using
DrakCluster GUI.

After that when people submit jobs via PBS theirs jobs are sent to this
subcluster. At the end of this session, you can reintegrate this nodes to
the original cluster in the same range of time you mention.