Why MDKC & CLIC are not comparable to RH Advanced [Was Re: Redhat Fedora]

Steffen Persvold sp at scali.com
Thu Sep 25 11:27:01 EDT 2003

erwan.velu at free.fr wrote:
[]

> I don't know if this king of approach could match all the clustering needs, but
> I must say that people who did really test this kind of distribution likes it.
> I'm not saying that other products are poor, we just have another approach that
> our Linux editor postion allow us to give.
>
> I hope this mail could help everyone to understand the work of the CLIC & MDKC
> team.

Erwan,

MDKC is still GPL'ed isn't it ? Atleast it contains a number of GPL products. Why isn't it possible to download MDKC and redistribute it as you can do with other distributions ?
Isn't that GPL violation ? Although RedHat Enterprise Linux costs $$ if you want the ISO's you can still compile your own distribution from the source they provide. Also anyone
who actually paid to get the RHEL CD's can (AFAIK) make copies and give to friends without problems, correct ? Is this true with MDKC too ?

Same thing with Scyld really, what prohibits a proud owner of "Scyld Beowulf Professional Edition 28cz Series" to make a copy available for download ? Does it contain products
which isn't GPL'ed, which is what you pay $375 per processor for ?

Regards,
Steffen