A question of OS!!

Rocky McGaugh rocky at atipa.com
Wed Sep 24 12:39:05 EDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Sarat C Maruvada wrote:

> Hi,I am planning on installing a 32 node beowulf cluster for high
> performance bio-informatics applications. As a OS I was planning on
> installing Red Hat Linux 9.0.But I had heard from somebody that SuSe Linux
> has advantage in parallel computations. Having no hands-on experience in
> SuSe Linux, I have no idea how to verify this or do a comparision. What do
> you advice as the OS for the cluster? And how to determine this,as there
> are a bunch of unix OSes out there.Thanks.
>
> Sincerely,
> Sarat.

First, I would strongly recommend against using RH9 in a production
environment. It is a short-life-cycle product meant for hobbyist desktops.
More than that, it was a way to beta test some pretty radical OS changes
on the masses before their inclusion into RHEL3.

Secondly, if you are going to use Opteron there are very good reasons to
use SuSE Enterprise Linux (SLES) instead of RH9. SLES natively supports
the Opteron while RH9 will only run in 32-bit mode. SLES also has a
5 or so year lifespan, versus the 1 year on RH9. SLES has preconfigured
NUMA support for the Opteron.

If you wait another month, the RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) version 3
will be out and has the same benefits as SLES.

--
Rocky McGaugh
Atipa Technologies
rocky at atipatechnologies.com
rmcgaugh at atipa.com
1-785-841-9513 x3110
http://67.8450073/
perl -e 'print unpack(u, ".=W=W+F%T:7\!A+F-O;0H`");'