opteron VS Itanium 2

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Fri Oct 31 15:52:12 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 12:31:01PM +0800, Andrew Wang wrote:
> > This would place the Big Mac in the 3rd place on the
> > top500 list
>
> Except that there are several other new large clusters that will
> likely place higher -- LANL announced a 2,048 cpu Opteron cluster a
> while back, and LLNL has something new, too, I think. Comparing
> yourself to the obsolete list in multiple press releases isn't very
> clever.

I thought that the 3rd place was in the new preliminary top500 list that
included all the big machines that will be there when the official list comes
out.  But there's been so much poor and conflicting information about Big Mac
who knows?  I'd like to know how much they payed for the infiniband hardware.