Cluster Poll Results

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Oct 31 11:55:43 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Douglas Eadline, Cluster World Magazine wrote:

> For those interested, the latest poll at www.cluster-rant.com was on
> cluster size. We had a record 102 responses! Take a look at
> http://www.cluster-rant.com/article.pl?sid=03/10/25/1330216
> for links to results and to the new poll on interconnects.

You need to let people vote more than once in something like this.  I
have three distinct clusters and there are two more I'd vote for the
owners here at Duke.  (They pretty much reflect the numbers you're
getting, which show well over half the clusters at 32 nodes or less).

It is interesting that this indicates that the small cluster is a lot
more common than big clusters, although the way numbers work there are a
lot more nodes in big clusters than in small clusters.  At least in your
biased and horribly unscientific (but FUN!) poll:-)

So from a human point of view, providing support for small clusters is
more important, but from an institutional/hardware point of view, big
clusters dominate.

It is also very interesting to me that RH (for example) thinks that
there is something that they are going to provide that is worth e.g.
several hundred thousand dollars in the case of a 1000+ node cluster
running their "workstation" product.  Fifty dollars certainly.  Five
hundred dollars maybe.  A thousand dollars possibly, but only if they
come up with a cluster-specific installation with some actual added
value.

Sigh.

   rgb

> Doug

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu