Video-less nodes

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Oct 29 17:00:47 EST 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Daniel Fernandez wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to get some opinions about video-less nodes in a cluster,
> we know that there is no problem about monitoring nodes remotely and
> reading logs but I suppose that in a kernel panic situation there's some
> valuable on-screen information... ¿ any thoughts ?
>
> Of course there's the possibility about putting really cheap video cards
> just that we'll able to see the text screen , nothing more ;)

To my direct experience, the extra time you waste debugging problems on
videoless nodes by hauling them out of the rack, sticking video in them,
resolving the problem, removing the video, and reinserting the nodes is
far more costly than cheap video, or better yet onboard video (many/most
good motherboards have onboard video these days) and being able to
resolve many of these problems without deracking the nodes.

Just my opinion of course.  When things go well, of course, it doesn't
matter.

Just think about the labor involved in a single BIOS reflash, for
example.

   rgb

> --
> Daniel Fernandez <daniel at labtie.mmt.upc.es>
> Laboratori de Termotècnia i Energia - CTTC
> UPC Campus Terrassa

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu