Video-less nodes

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Wed Oct 29 16:41:21 EST 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 at 8:16pm, Daniel Fernandez wrote

> I would like to get some opinions about video-less nodes in a cluster,
> we know that there is no problem about monitoring nodes remotely and
> reading logs but I suppose that in a kernel panic situation there's some
> valuable on-screen information... ¿ any thoughts ?
>
> Of course there's the possibility about putting really cheap video cards
> just that we'll able to see the text screen , nothing more ;)

As always, the answer is it depends.  A serial console should handle all
your needs.  But sometimes the BIOS sucks or the console doesn't work
right or...

IMHO, unless it messes other stuff up (e.g. drags your only PCI bus down
to 32/33), there's not much reason *not* to stuff cheap video boards into
nodes.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering