opteron VS Itanium 2

Craig Tierney ctierney at hpti.com
Wed Oct 29 11:13:27 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 02:58, Butti Gabriele - Dottorati di Ricerca
wrote:
> Dear all,
>       we are planning to build up a new cluster (16 nodes) before this
> year's end; we are evaluating different proposals from machine sellers,
> but the main doubt we have at this moment is whether choosing an Itanium
> 2 architecture or an AMD Opteron one.
>
> I know that ther's had already been on this list a debate on such a
> topic, but maybe some of you has some new experience to tell about.
>
> There is a wild bunch of benchmarks on these machines, but we fear that
> these are somewhat misleading and are not designed to test CPU's for
> intense scientific computing. The code we want to run on these machines
> is basically a home-made code, not fully optimized, which allocates
> around 500 Mb of RAM per node. Communication between nodes is a quite
> rare event and does not affect much computation time. In the past we had
> a very nice experience using Alpha CPU's which performed very well.
>
> To sum up, the question is: is the Itanium2 worth the price difference
> or is the Opteron the best choice?

Why don't you run your codes on the two platforms and figure it
out for yourself?  Better yet, get the vendors to do it.

I have seen cases where Itanium 2 performs much better than Opteron,
justifying the price difference.  Other codes did not show the same
difference, but both were faster than a Xeon.

Craig