opteron VS Itanium 2

smuelas smuelas at mecanica.upm.es
Wed Oct 29 04:30:28 EST 2003

Why don't you try a more humble Athlon, (2800 will be enough and you can use DRAM at 400).
You will economize a lot of money and for intensive operation it is very, very quick.
I have a small cluster with 8 nodes and Athlon 2400 and the results are astonishing. The important point is the motherboard, and nforce is great.

On 28 Oct 2003 10:58:04 +0100
gabriele.butti at unimib.it (Butti Gabriele - Dottorati di Ricerca) wrote:

> Dear all,
>       we are planning to build up a new cluster (16 nodes) before this
> year's end; we are evaluating different proposals from machine sellers,
> but the main doubt we have at this moment is whether choosing an Itanium
> 2 architecture or an AMD Opteron one.
>
> I know that ther's had already been on this list a debate on such a
> topic, but maybe some of you has some new experience to tell about.
>
> There is a wild bunch of benchmarks on these machines, but we fear that
> these are somewhat misleading and are not designed to test CPU's for
> intense scientific computing. The code we want to run on these machines
> is basically a home-made code, not fully optimized, which allocates
> around 500 Mb of RAM per node. Communication between nodes is a quite
> rare event and does not affect much computation time. In the past we had
> a very nice experience using Alpha CPU's which performed very well.
>
> To sum up, the question is: is the Itanium2 worth the price difference
> or is the Opteron the best choice?
>
> Thank you all
>
> Gabriele Butti
> --
>                                  \\|//
>                                 -(o o)-
>               /------------oOOOo--(_)--oOOOo-------------\
>               |                                          |
>               |             Gabriele Butti               |
>               |        -----------------------           |
>               |      Department of Material Science      |
>               |      University of Milano-Bicocca        |
>               |      Via Cozzi 53, 20125 Milano, ITALY   |
>               |      Tel (+39)02 64485214                |
>               |             .oooO   Oooo.                |
>                                \_)   (_/

Santiago Muelas
E.T.S. Ingenieros de Caminos, (U.P.M)    Tf.: (34) 91 336 66 59
e-mail: smuelas at mecanica.upm.es          Fax: (34) 91 336 67 61
www: http://w3.mecanica.upm.es/~smuelas