A Petaflop machine in 20 racks?

Alan Scheinine scheinin at crs4.it
Fri Oct 24 11:06:55 EDT 2003

I asked ClearSpeed what is the width of the floating point units
and today I received a reply.
The floating point units in the CS301 are 32 bits wide.

A previous email on the subject noted a earlier design
Each PE has an 8 bit ALU for the 256 PE "Fuzion block".
Evidently, this design is different.

My opinion: 32 bits is more than adequate for many signal
processing applications, not so long ago 24 bits was considered
enough for signal processing.  But for simulations of physical
events the "eigenvalues" have a range that makes 32 bit floating
point too small.

regards,
Alan