OpenMosix, opinions?

Leopold Palomo Avellaneda leopold.palomo at upc.es
Thu Oct 23 05:33:35 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'm a newbie in all of this questions of paralelism and clusters. I'm reading
all of I can. I have found some point that I need some opinions.

Hipotesis,

having a typical beowulf, with some nodes, a switch, etc. All of the nodes
running GNU/Linux, and the applications that are running are using MPI or
PVM. All works, etc ....

Imaging that we have an aplication. A pararell aplication that doesn't use a
lot I/O operation, but intensive cpu, and some messages. Something like a
pure parallel app. We implement it using PVM or MPI ... MPI. And we make a
test, and we have some result.

Now, we have our beowulf, with a linux kernel with OpenMosix with a patch that
can migrate threads (light weith process, Mighsm, http://mcaserta.com/maask/)
or threads compiled with http://moss.csc.ncsu.edu/~mueller/pthreads/, that
com from here: http://filibusta.crema.unimi.it/openmosix/fsu_threads_on_om/
benchmark.htm.

We have our program, and we change it that use threads for the paralel
behaviour and not MPI. And we run the same test. So, what will be better? Any
one have tested it?

Thank's in advance.

Best regards,

Leo