Opteron Fortran (was Re: flood of bounces frompostmaster at systemsfirm.net)

Douglas O'Flaherty douglas at shore.net
Wed Oct 22 01:33:02 EDT 2003

Here's the short summary of Opteron compilers. When someone offers an
AMD64 compiler, it typically may be used to create 32-bit or 64-bit
executables as long as you are specific about which libraries you use.
Any IA-32 compiler can create code and run on Opterons. Of course,
32-bit executables don't get the extra memory either, even when running
on a 64-bit OS, but sometimes a 32-bit executable might be what you want.

With SC2003 coming up, I expect we'll see a flurry of activity relating
to compilers and tools. This information will likely be stale soon.
Also, most of these have a free trial period, so you can kick the tires.

Intel compilers work great in 32-bit and can be run on a 32 or 64-bit OS
natively. Performance and compatability is not an issue. For obvious
reasons many of the benchmarks have been run using IFC.

PGI's first AMD64 production release was around July 5.  There is a
limitation on objects greater than 2GB in Linux as a result of the GNU
assembly linker, but the application can address as much memory as you
can give it. Only a small fraction of the world has objects that large.
I've only run into it with synthetic benchmarks. The gal coding is done
and PGI is working on the next release. As for performance, since this
was the first AMD64 fortran compiler to market, it was used in AMD
presentations. You can see performance comparisons in Rich Brunner's
presentation from ClusterWorld. It's on-line at
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/RichBrunnerClusterWorldpresFINAL.pdf
(about slide 39 IIRC) There was a minor patch release near the begining
of August. I suspect there is always someone finding flaws, but
generally it's doing well.
NB: Saw Glenn's post re: PGI on SuSE v. RedHat. We've got it running on
both. There were definately some fiddley bits to make it happy on
RedHat, but I think they are documented on PGI's site.

Absoft had a long beta of their AMD64 compiler and went GA in September.
I have no personal experience on it, nor do I know of any public benchmarks.

NAG worked closely with AMD on the AMD Core Math Libraries. They should
know the processor well.

No experience with the Gnu Fortran or Lahey. I believe GFC to be AMD64
functional. Lahey would only generate 32-bit code.

Your other question was about SSE2. Yes Opteron has complete SSE2
support. I *know* PGI & IFC support it, I expect the others do as well.

doug
douglas_at_shore.net

Disclaimer: Among my several hats I am also in AMD Marketing. This is an
unofficial response. No AMD bits were utlized in the creation of this
email, etc..  If you want to talk about Opterons 'officially' you need
to email me at doug.oflaherty(at)amd.com

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 at 7:08pm, Robert G. Brown wrote