Opteron Fortran (was Re: flood of bounces frompostmaster at systemsfirm.net)

Glen Kaukola glen at mail.cert.ucr.edu
Tue Oct 21 15:21:24 EDT 2003

>>On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Trent Piepho wrote:
>>

>>BTW, you (and of course the rest of the list) are just the man to ask;
>>what is the status of Opterons and fortran compilers.  I myself don't
>>use fortran any more, but a number of folks at Duke do, and they are
>>starting to ask what the choices are for Opterons.  A websearch reveals
>>that PGI, Absoft, NAG, Lahey, and perhaps others claim to have an
>>Opteron fortran, but rumor also suggests that a number of these are
>>really "beta" quality with bugs that may or may not prove fatal to any
>>given project.  Then there is Gnu.
>>
>>Any comments on any of these from you (or anybody, really)?  Is there a
>>functional 64-bit Gnu fortran for the Opteron?  Does Intel Fortran work?
>>Do the compilers permit access to large (> 3GB) memory, do they optimize
>>the use of that memory, do they support the various SSE instructions?

I can tell you about PGI's compilers.  They are kinda beta quality as
you say.  As of now they only want to install on Suse enterprise
edition.  Although a little fiddling around with the install scripts and
you can get them to install on other distributions.  But even though you
can get the compilers installed, they only seem to run on the Suse beta
for opterons.  PGI says this should all change in the near future
though.  As far as the code that the compilers produce, we haven't had
any problems at all as far as I know of.  The great thing about PGI
compilers though is that you can download them and try them out for free
for 15 days or so and see for yourself.

As far as the Gnu Fortran compiler goes, it seems to work great on
Opterons too.  But then as you're probably aware, it's only a Fortran 77
compiler.

Cheers,
Glen