flood of bounces from postmaster at systemsfirm.net

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Tue Oct 21 11:19:22 EDT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Trent Piepho wrote:
>
> > I'm getting a flood of bounced messages from postmaster at systemsfirm.net, every
> > messages I've sent to this list has started bouncing back to me from
> > dan at systemsfirm.com.  I'm getting about ten copies of each one every other
> > day.  Is anyone else having this problem?
>
> Oh yes, and it is a SERIOUS problem.  I was just mulling on the right

There are many more problems that list readers do not see.  I delete the
address from the list only when the problem is persistent.
The major problem happens when messages take a few days to bounce, and
the bounce does not follow standards.  In that case there are dozens of
messages in the remote queue, and they all appears to be replies by a
valid list subscriber.

> BTW, you (and of course the rest of the list) are just the man to ask;
> what is the status of Opterons and fortran compilers.  I myself don't
> use fortran any more, but a number of folks at Duke do, and they are
> starting to ask what the choices are for Opterons.  A websearch reveals
> that PGI, Absoft, NAG, Lahey, and perhaps others claim to have an
> Opteron fortran, but rumor also suggests that a number of these are
> really "beta" quality with bugs that may or may not prove fatal to any
> given project.

A surprising amount of 64 bit software (certainly not limited to the
Opteron) is still not mature enough for general purpose use.  It still
requires more development and testing to get to the stability level
required for real deployment.  And it's not the "64 bit" nature of the
software, since we did have reasonable maturity on the Alpha years ago.

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993