Opteron Fortran (was Re: flood of bounces frompostmaster at systemsfirm.net)

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Tue Oct 21 09:31:37 EDT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 at 7:08pm, Robert G. Brown wrote

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Trent Piepho wrote:
>
> > I'm getting a flood of bounced messages from postmaster at systemsfirm.net, every
> > messages I've sent to this list has started bouncing back to me from
> > dan at systemsfirm.com.  I'm getting about ten copies of each one every other
> > day.  Is anyone else having this problem?
>
> BTW, you (and of course the rest of the list) are just the man to ask;
> what is the status of Opterons and fortran compilers.  I myself don't
> use fortran any more, but a number of folks at Duke do, and they are
> starting to ask what the choices are for Opterons.  A websearch reveals
> that PGI, Absoft, NAG, Lahey, and perhaps others claim to have an
> Opteron fortran, but rumor also suggests that a number of these are
> really "beta" quality with bugs that may or may not prove fatal to any
> given project.  Then there is Gnu.
>
> Any comments on any of these from you (or anybody, really)?  Is there a
> functional 64-bit Gnu fortran for the Opteron?  Does Intel Fortran work?
> Do the compilers permit access to large (> 3GB) memory, do they optimize
> the use of that memory, do they support the various SSE instructions?

Well, this is as good a place as many to put up the benchmarks I ran using
DYNA (a commercial FEM code from LSTC, first developed at LLNL, and
definitely Fortran):

http://www.duke.edu/~jlb17/bench-results.pdf

According to their docs, the 32bit binary was compiled using ifc6.0.  The
slowdown in the newer point release is due to them dialing back the
optimizations due to compiler bugs.  The 64bit Opteron binary was compiled
using PGI, but that's all I know about it.

To sum it up, I bought some Opterons.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering