flood of bounces from postmaster at systemsfirm.net

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Oct 20 19:08:12 EDT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Trent Piepho wrote:

> I'm getting a flood of bounced messages from postmaster at systemsfirm.net, every
> messages I've sent to this list has started bouncing back to me from
> dan at systemsfirm.com.  I'm getting about ten copies of each one every other
> day.  Is anyone else having this problem?

Oh yes, and it is a SERIOUS problem.  I was just mulling on the right
procmail recipe to consign this domain to the dark depths of hell, but
if it were done at the list level instead it would only be a good thing.
My .procmailrc is already getting quite long indeed.

BTW, you (and of course the rest of the list) are just the man to ask;
what is the status of Opterons and fortran compilers.  I myself don't
use fortran any more, but a number of folks at Duke do, and they are
starting to ask what the choices are for Opterons.  A websearch reveals
that PGI, Absoft, NAG, Lahey, and perhaps others claim to have an
Opteron fortran, but rumor also suggests that a number of these are
really "beta" quality with bugs that may or may not prove fatal to any
given project.  Then there is Gnu.

Any comments on any of these from you (or anybody, really)?  Is there a
functional 64-bit Gnu fortran for the Opteron?  Does Intel Fortran work?
Do the compilers permit access to large (> 3GB) memory, do they optimize
the use of that memory, do they support the various SSE instructions?

I'm indirectly interested in this as it looks like I'm getting Opterons
for my next round of cluster purchases personally, although I'll be
using C on them (hopefully 64 bit Gnu C).

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu