When is cooling air cool enough?

Andrew Piskorski atp at piskorski.com
Fri Oct 17 23:15:21 EDT 2003

> From: "David Mathog" <mathog at mendel.bio.caltech.edu>
> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:47:08 -0700

> if the computer room was a lot more like a wind tunnel: ambient air
> in (after filtering out any dust or rain), pass it through the
> computers, and then blow it out the other side of the building.

> The question is, how hot can the cooling air be and still keep the
> computers happy?

That sounds like a pretty neat undergraduate heat transfer homework
problem.  No seriously, since you're at a university, if you want a
rough estimate go over to the Chemical Engineering department and
borrow their heat transfer textbook, or better, borrow somebody to set
up the problem and calculate it for you.  That could work, although
what assumptions to make might be sticky.

It's been too many years since I've forgotten all that, so perhaps
fortunately, I don't quite remember where my old undergrad heat
transfer book is right now anyway.  :)

> I'm guessing that so long as a lot of air is moving through
> the computers most would be ok in a sustained 30C (86F) flow.

But I bet the other respondants were right when they said that's
probably too hot...

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com>
http://www.piskorski.com