POVray, beowulf, etc.

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Oct 17 14:05:49 EDT 2003

I'm aware of some MPI-aware POVray stuff, but is there anything out there
that can facilitate something where you want to render a sequence of frames
(using, e.g., POVray), one frame to a processor, then gather the images
back to a head node for display, in quasi-real time.

For instance, say you had a image that takes 1 second to render, and you
had 30 processors free to do the rendering.  Assuming you set everything up
ahead of time, it should be possible to set all the processors spinning,
and feeding the rendered images back to a central point where they can be
displayed as an animation at 30 fps (with a latency of 1 second)

Obviously, the other approach is to have each processor render a part of
the image, and assemble them all, but it seems that this might actually be
slower overall, because you've got the image assembling time added.

I'm looking for a way to do some real-time visualization of modeling
results as opposed to a batch oriented "render farm", so it's the pipeline
to gather the rendered images from the nodes to the display node that I'm
interested in. I suppose one could write a little MPI program that gathers
the images up as bitmaps and feeds them to a window, but, if someone has
already solved this in a reasonably facile and elegant way, why not use it.

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Telecommunications Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109