A Petaflop machine in 20 racks?

Douglas Eadline, Cluster World Magazine deadline at linux-mag.com
Thu Oct 16 21:23:57 EDT 2003

Looking at the standard "we have the solution to everyones computing needs
press release" a few things are clear:

"... multi-threaded array processor ..."

which is further verified later in the press release:

"... where the CS301 is acting as a co-processor, dynamic libraries
offload an application's inner loops to the CS301. Although these inner
loops only make up a small portion of the source code, these loops are
responsible for the vast majority of the application's running time. By
offloading the inner loops, the CS301 can bypass the traditional
bottleneck caused by a CPU's limited mathematical capability..."

It seems to be a low power array processor which may be of some real value
to some people. The real issue is can they keep pace in terms of cost and
performance with the commodity CPU market. And what about code
portability. Quite a few people have spent quite a lot of time porting and
tweaking codes for architectures that seemed to have a rather short lived
history.

Of course, there is no hardware yet.

Doug