XML for formatting (Re: Environment monitoring)

graham.mullier at syngenta.com graham.mullier at syngenta.com
Thu Oct 16 04:47:12 EDT 2003

[Hmm, and will the rants be longer or shorter after he's bought the mental
lubricant?]

I'm in support of the original rant, however, having had to reverse-engineer
several data formats in the past. Most recently a set of molecular-orbital
output data. Very frustrating trying to count through data fields and
convince myself that we have mapped it correctly.

Anecdote from a different field (weather models) that's related - for a
while, a weather model used calibration data a bit wrong - sea temperature
and sea surface wind speed were swapped. All because someone had to look at
a data dump and guess which column was which.

So, sure, XML is very wordy, but the time saving (when trying to decipher
the data) and potential for avoiding big mistakes more than makes up for it
(IMO).

Graham

Graham Mullier
Chemoinformatics Team Leader,