Pentium4 vs Xeon

Eric Kuhnke eric at fnordsystems.com
Wed Oct 15 21:37:36 EDT 2003

There are single-Xeon boards using the Serverworks GC series of chipsets with 64-bit PCI, but they're just as expensive as a budget dual Xeon board (Tyan S2723 or Supermicro X5DPA-GG)...  In the $280 to $310 per board price range.  Seems rather silly, as the "Prestonia" Socket-604 Xeon CPUs are nothing but a P4 repackaged.

There's also this board:
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/trinitygcsl.html
Which uses a single P4 @ 533MHz FSB, with the same Serverworks chipset.

Supermicro X5-SS* series (scroll down):