XML for formatting (Re: Environment monitoring)

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Oct 15 09:46:45 EDT 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Felix Rauch wrote:

> > > passing 56 bytes (just counting the cpu_temp line).  So the XML blows up
> > > a little bit of data 14 times.  I can't see this being particularly
> > > efficient way of using a network.  Sure, it looks pretty, but seems like
> > > a waste of bandwidth.
> >
> > Ah, an open invitation to waste a little more:-)
>
> Isn't it a bit cynical to write a 20 KByte e-mail on the topic of
> saving 56 Bytes? ;-)

Cynical?  No, not really.  Stupid?  Probably.

If only I could get SOMEBODY to pay me ten measely cents a word for my
rants...

Alas this is not to be.  So the alternative is to see if I can extort
ten cents from everybody on the list NOT to write 20K rants like this.
Sort of like National Lampoon's famous "Buy this magazine or we'll shoot
this dog" issue...:-)

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu