XML for formatting (Re: Environment monitoring)

Dale Harris rodmur at maybe.org
Tue Oct 14 17:14:26 EDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 10:33:29AM -0400, Robert G. Brown elucidated:

> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <sensors>
>   <cpu_temperature id="0" units="C">54.2</cpu_temperature>

You know... one problem I see with this, assuming this information is
going to pass across the net (or did I miss something).  Is that instead
of passing something like four bytes (ie "54.2"), you are going to be
passing 56 bytes (just counting the cpu_temp line).  So the XML blows up
a little bit of data 14 times.  I can't see this being particularly
efficient way of using a network.  Sure, it looks pretty, but seems like
a waste of bandwidth.

--
Dale Harris
rodmur at maybe.org