PVM errors at startup

Patrick Begou Patrick.Begou at hmg.inpg.fr
Tue Oct 14 12:53:54 EDT 2003

This email just to close the thread with the solution.

The problem was not related to any PVM misconfiguration but to the
ethernet driver. Looking at the ethernet communications between 2 nodes
with tcpdump has shown that pvmd was started using tcp communications
BUT that pvmd were trying to talk each other with UDP protocol (it is
also detailed in the PVM doc) and this was the problem. The UDP
communications was unsuccessfull between the nodes.

Details:
The nodes are P4 2.8 with Asustek P4P800 motherboard and on board 3C940
(gigabit) controler. I was using the 3c2000 driver (from the cdrom).
Kernel is 2.4.20-20.7bigmem from RedHat 7.3.
rsh, rexec and rcp are working fine but this driver seems not to work
with UDP protocol???

The solution was to download the sk68lin driver (v6.18) and run the
shell script to patch the kernel sources for the current kernel. Then
correct the module.conf file and set up the gigabit interface. Now PVM
is working fine between the two first nodes and the measured throughput
is the same as with 3c2000 asustek driver. I should now setup the other
nodes!

I would like to thanks Pr. Kenneth R. Koehler and Dr James Arthur Kohl
for their great help in checking the full PVM configuration and leading
me towards a network driver problem.

Patrick
|  Equipe M.O.S.T.         | http://most.hmg.inpg.fr          |
|  Patrick BEGOU           |       ------------               |
|  LEGI                    | mailto:Patrick.Begou at hmg.inpg.fr |
|  BP 53 X                 | Tel 04 76 82 51 35               |
|  38041 GRENOBLE CEDEX    | Fax 04 76 82 52 71               |