building a RAID system - 8 drives - drive-net - tapes - preferences

Alvin Oga alvin at
Fri Oct 10 07:12:48 EDT 2003

hi ya robert

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> > tape backups are insecure ...
> > 	- lose a tape ( bad tape, lost tape ) and and all its data is lost
> > 	- anybody can read the entire contents of the full backup
> Unless it is encrypted.  Without strong encryption there is no
> data-level security.  With it there is.  Maybe.  Depending on what is
> "strong" to you and what is strong to, say, the NSA, whether your
> systems and network is secure, depending on whether you have dual
> isolation power inside a faraday cage with dobermans at the door.

just trying to protect the tapes ( backups ) against the casual
"oops look what i found"  and they go and look at the HR records
or the  salary records or employee reviews etc..etc..

not trying to protect the tapes against the [cr/h]ackers ( different
ball game )  and even not protecting against the spies of nsa/kgb etc
either  ( whole new ballgame for those types of backup issues )

> However, there can be as much or as little physical security for the
> tape as you care to put there.  Tape in a locked safe, tape in an
> armored car.

dont forget to lock the car/safe too :-)
and log who goes in and out of the "safe" area :-)

> I get the feeling that you just don't like tapes, Alvin...;-)

not my first choice for backups .. even offsite backups...

but if "management" takes out the $$$ to do tape backups... so it shall be
done ...
	ideally, everything works ...  but unfortunately, tapes
	are highly prone to people's "oops i forgot to change it
	yesterday"  or the weekly catridge

have fun