Inquiry small system S/W

smuelas smuelas at mecanica.upm.es
Fri Oct 10 01:20:06 EDT 2003

I have put together a 8 node beowulf cluster to my greatest satisfaction and results.
You don't need nothing special; if it is beowulf it must be Linux. If you use, for example, RedHat 9, what I do, you have everything needed in the standard 3 CD's distribution, that you can download at no cost.
Apart from that, and in my particular case, I use fortran90 and the compiler from Intel, also free for non-comercial use.
Perhaps, the only special hardware to buy is a simple, 8 nodes switch for your ethernet connections.
Then, what is really important is to learn to make your software really able to use the cluster. So, some time to study MPI or similar, and work, work, work...  :-)
Before being an 8 nodes cluster, mine has been 4-nodes, then 6-nodes and at 8 I stopped. But there is no difference in the work to do. Just the possibilities and speed increase.

Good luck!!

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:43:57 -0400
Gene Sheppard <gsheppar at gpc.edu> wrote:

>  We here are Georgia Perimeter College are planning on putting together a 5
> or 6 node Beowulf system.
>
>  My question:
>  Is there any software for a system like this?
>  What applications have been tested on a small system?
>
>  If there are none, what is the smallest system out there?
>
>  Thank you for your help.
>
>  GEne
>
>  ==============================================
>  Gene Sheppard
>  Georgia Perimeter College
>  Computer Science
>  1000 University Center Lane
>  Lawrenceville, GA 30043
>  678-407-5243

Santiago Muelas
E.T.S. Ingenieros de Caminos, (U.P.M)    Tf.: (34) 91 336 66 59
e-mail: smuelas at mecanica.upm.es          Fax: (34) 91 336 67 61
www: http://w3.mecanica.upm.es/~smuelas