building a RAID system - 8 drives

Michael T. Prinkey mprinkey at aeolusresearch.com
Thu Oct 9 13:47:43 EDT 2003

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Angel Rivera wrote:

> Alvin Oga writes:
>

> > On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Trent Piepho wrote:
> >
> >> On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Alvin Oga wrote:
>
> > nobody swaps disks around ... unless one is using those 5.25" drive bay
> > thingies in which case ... thats a different ball game
>
> No quite true. We use Rare drives (one box) to move up to a TB of data
> around w/o having to take the time to create tapes and then download them.
> That takes a lot of time, even w/ LTOs.

Jim Grey just recommends moving the whole computer:

http://www.acmqueue.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=43

<quote>
JG It's a very convenient way of distributing data.

DP Are you sending them a whole PC?

JG Yes, an Athlon with a Gigabit Ethernet interface, a gigabyte of RAM,
and seven 300-GB disks--all for about $3,000.
</quote>