building a RAID system

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Oct 9 10:57:21 EDT 2003

I've recently built a 2TB (well, a little less really) ATA RAID using a
pair of HighPoint 374 controlers and 10 250-GB Maxtor 8 MB cache drives
(plus a 60 GB drive for the system).

It's running as 2 1TB arrays, because of disparate applications, right
now.

Initially, the drivers for RH9 were not available so we started with
RH7.3 and all the updates; they're there now and  and allow cross-card
arrays.  Down the pike we might re-install and span the controllers.

I've also recently done a 2-drive striped array supporting a meteorology
data application with a lot of data acquisition and database work.  It's
mounted to a number of other systems via NFS.  Uses a Promise
Technologies TX2000 and a pair of 80 GB Maxtors.

Both RAID systems have worked very well.  I suspect the next one I build
will incorporate Serial ATA instead of parallel.  I doubt I'll build
another SCSI RAID for my applications.

Gerry Creager
Texas Mesonet
Texas A&M University