building a RAID system - 8 drives

Joey Sims jsims at csiopen.com
Thu Oct 9 09:02:11 EDT 2003

300GB Maxtor ATA133 5400RPM drives are the largest currently available.  250GB is the largest SATA currently.  You can achieve 2TB in a 1U by using a drive sled that will hold two drives.  The drives are mounted opposing each other and share a backplane.  This is a proprietary solution.  Or, if you have a chassis with 4 external trays and a few internal 3.5" bays it could be done.  I personally don't believe cramming this many drives in a 1U is a good idea.  Increased heat due to lack of airflow would have to decrease the lifespan of the drives.