building a RAID system

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Thu Oct 9 00:58:27 EDT 2003

Where you said:

>I would like to know some advice about what kind of technology apply
>into a RAID file server ( through NFS ) . We started choosing hardware
>RAID to reduce cpu usage.
>
>We have two options , SCSI RAID and ATA RAID. The first would give the
>best results but on the other hand becomes really expensive so we have
>in mind two ATA RAID controllers:
>
>                 Adaptec 2400A
>                 3Ware 6000/7000 series controllers

I would suggest using the 3Ware (current models are 7506 ( parallel ATA)
and 8506 ( Serial ATA)).

Use mdamd to create software RAID devices.
It will yield better performance, and is much more flexible.
If you are building a large array, use multiple controllers to increase
throughput.

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
    T5X 1Y3