building a RAID system

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Thu Oct 9 02:00:33 EDT 2003

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Mark Hahn wrote:
> > 	- get those drives w/ 8MB buffer disk cache
>
> what reason do you have to regard 8M as other than a useless
> marketing feature?  I mean, the kenel has a cache that's 100x
> bigger, and a lot faster.

I found a comparison of 8MB vs 2MB drives in a raid, though it's windows
based and not that great:
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=13&artpage=289&articID=69

Seems like the 8MB didn't really make much of a difference.

> > independent of which raid system is built, you wil need 2 or 3
> > more backup systems to backup your Terabyte sized raid systems
>
> backup is hard.  you can get 160 or 200G tapes, but they're almost
> as expensive as IDE disks, not to mention the little matter of a

100GB LTO tapes can be had for $36, that's less than half the price of the
cheapest 200 GB drives.