Intel compilers and libraries

Glen Kaukola glen at mail.cert.ucr.edu
Mon Oct 6 13:24:57 EDT 2003

José M. Pérez Sánchez wrote:

>Hello:
>
>We are thinking about purchasing the Intel C++ compiler for linux,
>mainly for getting the most of our harware (Xeon 2.4Gz processors), we
>are also interested in the Intel MKL (Math Kernel Library), I would like
>to know if the performance gain using Intel compiler+libraries, which exploit
>SSE2 and make other optimizations for P4/Xeon, are as good as Intel
>claims, anyone in the list using those products?

You realize that there's a free version of the Intel compiler for Linux
right?  Anyway, our experience with their Fortran compiler has been that
it's roughly on par with the Portland Group's compiler.  However, if
Pentium 4 optimizations are turned on, the code produced by the Intel
compiler runs just a little bit faster.

Glen