Help: About Intel Fortran Compiler:

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Mon Oct 6 12:56:37 EDT 2003

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Franz Marini wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Ao Jiang wrote:
>
> > ifc -I /opt/mpich-1.2.5/include -Lmpi -w -Lm -o p_wg3 p_fdtd3dwg3_pml.f90
>
> Try with :
>
>   ifc -I/opt/mpich-1.2.5/include -lmpi -w -o p_wg3 p_fdtd3dwg3_pml.f90
>
> Btw, a cleaner way to compile mpi programs is to use the mpif90
> (mpif77 for fortran77) command (which is a wrapper for the real
> compiler).

Acckkk!!

This is one of the horribly broken things about most MPI
implementations.  It's not reasonable to say
    "to use this library you must use our magic compile script"
A MPI library should be just that -- a library conforming to system
standards.  You should be able to link it with just "-lmpi".

Most of the Fortran underscore issues may be hidden from the user with
weak linker aliases.

Similarly, it's not reasonable to say
    "to run this program, you must use our magic script"
You should be able to just run the program, by name, in the usual way.

Our BeoMPI implementation demonstrated how to do it right many years
ago, and we provided the code back to the community.  Many people on
this list seem to take the attitude "I've already learned the crufty
way, therefore the improvements don't matter."

One element of a high-quality library is ease of use, and in the long
run that matters more than a few percent faster for a specific function
call.

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993