Filesystem question (sort of newbie)

Andrew Latham lathama at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 4 15:15:08 EDT 2003

This is by far my favorite approach however I tend to tweak it with a very
large initrd and custom kernel. I am using older hardware with its max ram so I
use it as best I can. with no local harddisk I am always looking at the best
method of network file access and have gone so far as to try wget with http.

--- Mark Hahn <hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca> wrote:
> > 8 or but I haven't tested it), but it boots into a small Ram
> > Disk (about 70 megs depending upon what you need on the
>
> alternately, it's almost trivial to PXE boot nodes, mount a simple
> root FS from a server/master, and use the local disk, if any, for
> swap and/or tmp.  one nice thing about this is that you can do it
> with any distribution you like - mine's RH8, for instance.
>
> personally, I prefer the nfs-root approach, probably because once
> you boot, you won't be wasting any ram with boot-only files.
> for a cluster of 48 nodes, there seems to be no drawback;
> for a much larger cluster, I expect all the boot-time traffic
> would be crippling, and you might want to use some kind of
> multicast to distribute a ramdisk image just once...
>
> regards, mark hahn.

=====
Andrew Latham

Penguin loving, moralist agnostic.