Filesystem question (sort of newbie)

Cannon, Andrew Andrew.Cannon at nnc.co.uk
Fri Oct 3 05:30:07 EDT 2003

Hi All,

I am going to be setting up a 16 node cluster in the near future. I have
only set up a 4 node cluster before and I am a little unsure about how to
sort out the disk space.

Each computer will be running Red Hat (either 8 or 9 I haven't decided yet,
any advice is still appreciated), and I was wondering how to best organise
the disks on each node.

I am thinking (only started wondering about this today) of installing the
cluster software on the master node (pvm, MPI and the actual calculation
software, MCNP) and mounting the disk on each of the other nodes, so that
all they have on their hard drives is the minimal install of RH. The
question I am asking is, will this work and what sort of performance hit
will there be? Would I be better installing the software on each computer?

TIA (sorry for being so stoopid, I'm still very much a learner at linux and
clustering)

Andy

Andrew Cannon, Nuclear Technology (J2), NNC Ltd, Booths Hall, Knutsford,
Cheshire, WA16 8QZ.

Telephone; +44 (0) 1565 843768
email: mailto:andrew.cannon at nnc.co.uk
NNC website: http://www.nnc.co.uk

NNC's UK Operating Companies : NNC Holdings Limited (no. 3725076), NNC Limited (no. 1120437), National Nuclear Corporation Limited (no. 2290928), STATS-NNC Limited (no. 4339062) and Technica-NNC Limited (no. 235856).  The registered office of each company is at Booths Hall, Chelford Road, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 8QZ except for Technica-NNC Limited whose registered office is at 6 Union Row, Aberdeen AB10 1DQ.

This email and any files transmitted with it have been sent to you by the relevant UK operating company and are confidential and intended for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the NNC system manager by e-mail at eadm at nnc.co.uk.