Power Supply: Supermicro P4DL6 Board?

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Thu Oct 2 17:25:20 EDT 2003

> > disks are much, much cooler than they used to be, probably dropping
> > below power consumed by ram on most clusters.
>
> Note that most performance-oriented RAM types now have metal cases and
> heat sinks.  They didn't add the metal because it _looks_ cool.

I'm not so sure.  I looked at the spec for a current samsung pc333 ddr
512Mb chip, and it works out to about 16W per GB.  I think most people
still have 512MB dimms, and probably pc266 (13.6W/GB).  I don't really see
why a dimm would have trouble dissipating ~20W, considering its size.
I suspect dimm heatsinks are actually a fashion statement inspired by the
heat-spreaders found on some rambus rimms (which were *spreaders*, a
consequence of how rambus does power management...)

personally, I'm waiting till I can invest in peltier-cooled dimms ;)