Upper bound on no. of sockets

John Brookes johnb at quadrics.com
Wed Oct 1 09:59:16 EDT 2003

I think there is a 1k per-process limit on open sockets. It's tuneable in
2.4 kernels, IIRC, but I don't remember how (off the top of my head).
'ulimit -n' adjusts the max number of fd's, but I'm not sure that'll take it
past a/the kernel limit. Maybe recompile kernel? Maybe poke
/proc/sys/.../...? Maybe adjust in userland?

Maybe use fewer sockets ;-)

Does anybody know the score?

Cheers,

John Brookes