Environment monitoring

Leopold Palomo lepalom at upc.es
Wed Oct 1 10:13:46 EDT 2003

A Dimecres 01 Octubre 2003 14:37, Robert G. Brown va escriure:
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Leopold Palomo Avellaneda wrote:
> > A Dimarts 30 Setembre 2003 22:23, Rocky McGaugh va escriure:
> > > Dont overlook lm_sensors+cron
> >
> > Why?
>
> On a system equipped with an internal sensor, lm_sensors can often read
> e.g. core CPU temperature on the system itself.  A polling cron script
> can then read this and take action, e.g. initiate a shutdown if it
> exceeds some threshold.
>
> There are good and bad things about this.  A good thing is it addreses
> the real problem -- overheating in the system itself -- and not room
> temperature.  CPU's can overheat because of a fan failure when the room
> remains cold, and a sensors-driven poweroff can then save your hardware
> on a node by node basis.
>
> The bad thing is that it does NOT give you any sort of measure of room
> temperature per se, although if you have the poweroff script send you
> mail first, getting deluged with N messages as the entire cluster shuts
> down would be a good clue that your room cooling failed:-).  Also,
> lm_sensors has the API from hell.  In fact, I would hardly call it an
> API.  One has to pretty much craft a polling script on the basis of each
> supported sensor independently, which requires you to know WAY more than
> you ever wanted to about the particular sensor your system may or may
> not have.
>
> Alas, if only somebody would give the lm_sensors folks a copy of a good
> book on XML for christmas, and they decided to take the monumental step
> of converting /proc/sensors into a single xml-based file with the
> RELEVANT information presented in toplevel tags like
>
>   <cpu_temp id="0" units="C">50.4</cpu_temp>
>
> and the irrelevant information presented in tags like

> then we could ALL reap the fruits of their labor without needing a copy
> of the lm78 version 1.22a API manual and having to write an application
> that supports each of the sensors THROUGH THEIR INTERFACE one at a
> time...;-)

Ok. I was a bit surprise about your sentence. I know that lmsensors is not
perfect, but it does their job. Ok, I don't think that use lm_sensors to try
to calculate the T of the room is a bit excesive.

About the xml,... well, ok, it would be a nice feature, but as plain text,
knowing your hardware it's so good, too.

Best Regards.

Pd How about the pdf, ps, etc?