RH8 vs RH9

Thornton Prime thornton at yoyoweb.com
Wed Oct 1 08:34:40 EDT 2003

> We have a small test cluster running RH8 which seems to work well. We are
> going to expand this cluster and I was wondering what, if any, are the
> advantages of installing the cluster using RH9 instead of RH8? Are there any
> disadvantages?

You should check out the release notes. On the whole, I'd say there
isn't much advantage unless you can take advantage of NTPL. Most of the
other enhancements were primarily for desktop users.

The next release should be 2.6-kernel ready, so rather than 9 you may
consider experimenting with Severn or Taroon.  Taroon has much better
support for 64-bit platforms, if you are headed there.

thornton