Cluster Poll Results (tangent into OS choices)

Steffen Persvold sp at
Fri Oct 31 17:49:33 EST 2003

Josip Loncaric wrote:
> These days, one seldom builds 1000 node systems out of basic x86 boxes.
>  Consider a 1024 node AMD64 system instead: The list price on RHEL WS
> Standard for AMD64 is $792 per node, or $811,008 for the whole cluster.
>  This is unlikely to create any sales.
> RH should be paid for the valuable service they provide (patch streams
> etc.) but this is not worth $811K to builders of large clusters.  There
> are other good alternatives, most of them *MUCH* cheaper.  I fully agree
> with RGB that RH needs to announce a sensible pricing structure for
> clusters in order to participate in this market.

Who says you have to pay 1024*$792 ? Why not only 1 license ? AFAIK you are may use that binary image as you like inside your cluster since it is covered by GPL, but you can't
claim support from RH for more than one of the systems.