building a RAID system

Daniel Fernandez daniel at labtie.mmt.upc.es
Wed Oct 8 15:46:59 EDT 2003

Hi,

I would like to know some advice about what kind of technology apply
into a RAID file server ( through NFS ) . We started choosing hardware
RAID to reduce cpu usage.

We have two options , SCSI RAID and ATA RAID. The first would give the
best results but on the other hand becomes really expensive so we have
in mind two ATA RAID controllers:

                Adaptec 2400A
		3Ware 6000/7000 series controllers

Any one of these has its strong and weak points, after seeing various
benchmarks/comparisons/reviews these are the only candidates that
deserve our attention.

The server has a dozen of client workstations connected through a
switched 100Mbit LAN , all of these equipped with it's own OS and
harddisk, all home directories will be stored under the main server,
main workload (compilation and edition) would be done on the local
machines tough, server only takes care of file sharing.

Also parallel MPI executions will be done between the clients.

Considering that not all the workstantions would be working full time
and with cost in mind ¿ it's worth an ATA RAID solution ?

--
Daniel Fernandez <daniel at labtie.mmt.upc.es>
Laboratori de Termotècnia i Energia - CTTC