Filesystem question (sort of newbie)

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Fri Oct 3 09:34:30 EDT 2003

> 8 or but I haven't tested it), but it boots into a small Ram
> Disk (about 70 megs depending upon what you need on the

alternately, it's almost trivial to PXE boot nodes, mount a simple
root FS from a server/master, and use the local disk, if any, for
swap and/or tmp.  one nice thing about this is that you can do it
with any distribution you like - mine's RH8, for instance.

personally, I prefer the nfs-root approach, probably because once
you boot, you won't be wasting any ram with boot-only files.
for a cluster of 48 nodes, there seems to be no drawback;
for a much larger cluster, I expect all the boot-time traffic
would be crippling, and you might want to use some kind of
multicast to distribute a ramdisk image just once...

regards, mark hahn.