Mainboard identification and BIOS dump

Fri Nov 28 20:28:53 EST 2003

hi ya daniel

assuming that one can uniquely identify a motherboard model...

a) yes ... sometimes that info  Asus  p4-aaaa is in the bios
   but usually not

b)  why play with   dd if=/dev/mem ....
	its easier to save a copy of the output of dmesg on bootups

	/etc/rc.d/rc.local
		echo ""
		echo "save some startup info"
		dmesg > /etc/rc.d/rc.local.dmesg

	- append info from /proc/io proc/cpuinfo /proc/pci
	/proc/iomem /proc/meminfo

		cat /proc/cpuinfo >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local.dmesg

	- poke around at that rc.localdmesg file when you wanna
	know which mb it might be

	- you'd have to make a list of mapping/signatures from
	the chipset back to the mb manufacturer and model#

making a kernel that supports all your hardware is the easiest way
to handle the non-homogenous network

c ya
aklvin