Opteron kernel

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Wed Nov 26 13:59:33 EST 2003

> for testing ) and I assumed to be correct.  But given the poor
> performance I have seen ( 2 GHz Opterons coming in at ~15% slower than a
> 3 GHz P4 on a compute/memory intensive application when most benchmarks
> I have seen would imply the inverse ), I will double-check that when

I've seen this repeatedly.

Did each opteron cpu have 2 or 4 dimms attached?

Did you benchmark TWO jobs on the opteron vs TWO jobs on the P4?

Is the memory at least PC2700?

Have you played with the BIOS settings, I've seen significant speedups
playing with both the node interleaving and the memory interleaving.

I can provide a benchmark that should show 2GB/sec to main memory
on a single opteron, and 3 GB/sec to a dual opteron if it's properly
setup.

--
Bill Broadley
Computational Science and Engineering