Opteron kernel

Derek Richardson derek.richardson at pgs.com
Wed Nov 26 13:23:47 EST 2003

Donald,
Sorry for the late reply, bloody Exchange server didn't drop it in my
inbox until late this morning.  Memory and scheduling would probably be
the biggest factor.  Processor affinity doesn't matter as much, because
in my experience we haven't had problems w/ processes bouncing between
CPUs.  PCI bus is almost a non-issue, since our application is
embarassingly parallel and therefore has no need for > 100 Mbit
ethernet, and there is no disk on a PCI-attached controller, so we have
very little information passing over the PCI bus.
By interleaving, I assume you mean at the physical level, which I had a
quick peek at when we got the system ( it's an IBM eServer 325, a loaner
for testing ) and I assumed to be correct.  But given the poor
performance I have seen ( 2 GHz Opterons coming in at ~15% slower than a
3 GHz P4 on a compute/memory intensive application when most benchmarks
I have seen would imply the inverse ), I will double-check that when
given a chance.
I will probably just try the latest 2.6 kernel and a few other tweaks as
well, and AMD has also offerred help, but that would more likely be at
the application layer ( which I don't have control of, unfortunately ).
Thanks for the response, and my apologies for the vagueness of the question.
Derek R.

--
Linux Administrator
derek.richardson at pgs.com
derek.richardson at ieee.org
Office 713-781-4000
Cell 713-817-1197
Madison's Inquiry:
	If you have to travel on the Titanic, why not go first class?