LONG RANT [RE: RHEL Copyright Removal]

Bill Broadley bill at math.ucdavis.edu
Mon Nov 24 20:30:08 EST 2003

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 10:01:30PM +0800, Laurence Liew wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> RedHat have annouced academic pricing at USD25 per desktop (RHEL WS
> based) and USD50 for Academic server (RHEL ES based) a week or so ago.

This sounded relatively attractive to me, until I found out that
USD25 per desktop for RHEL WS did NOT include the Opteron version.

To add insult to injury RHEL ES does not support opteron.

> Now... I believe the USD25 and USD50 are acceptable pricing for the
> value that RHEL + RHN brings to the customer (academic). The cost of the
> OS is a small fraction of the total value of the cluster.

Alas if you buy a AMD64 laptop, desktop, or server it's a minimum of
$792.  If you want named, dhcpd, and friends it's $1992.

--
Bill Broadley
Mathematics