Need a little help getting started

William J Mandra william.mandra at us.army.mil
Sun Nov 23 22:36:01 EST 2003

Hello all. I am new to this lit and apologize in advance if any of the
questions that I have are silly but here it goes.  I am in the design phase
of a cluster and I am having some trouble figuring out which software
packages to use.  The cluster will originally consist of 12 nodes linked via
100BaseT switched ethernet and a cluster controller. The following are some
of my requirements:
  1.  All nodes netboot off of the cluster controller
  2.  automatic process migration and load balancing (openMOSIX)
  3.  distributed shared memory

The cluster controller will be connected to both the main network and the
private cluster network and I would like to be able to start applications on
the cluster remotely via the cluster controller.

I have been doing an exhaustive amount of research on all of the different
software available to accomplish this, but I have fallen short in figuring
out which ones will work together.

I am planning on using Red Hat 9 on all of the nodes in the cluster.

I just need a little more information to give me that push in the right
direction.  I do have some time, s I am not planning to start building the
cluster until March or April.

Thanks in advance,

   William Mandra