[OT] statistical calculations (Martin WHEELER)

Matthew Timothy Pratola mp00aa at cosc.brocku.ca
Sun Nov 23 18:25:49 EST 2003

Hello Martin,

The primary opensource package used in statistical analyses is R, which
you can find at www.r-project.org.  R is an OSS implementation of the S
language, which is also the basis for the commercial package S-Plus.  A
quick search of "using R in gnumeric" gives the following link:

http://www.omegahat.org/RGnumeric/Docs/introduction.pdf

which may be helpful.  I don't know if any of the other spreadsheet
programs have an R plugin written, i would suspect not.  At any rate, if
the data you are working with will require some pretty fancy approaches,
i'd be pretty suprised that any spreadsheet program (ie without said
plugin) would be able to do anything half-decent with any degree of
reliability.  Especially for large datasets.

Anyhow, to keep this slightly on-topic, in a recent conversation with
someone from the R project, i was told that there is maybe a rough,
non-widely distributed implementation of MPI in R, which i think would be
nice, but currently searching R and MPI on google does not yield much.
Actually the person i spoke to gave me a name to search for, but i don't
have that information in front of me right now...

-Matt
ps - i'm a starving grad student just heading home for xmas vacation, so i
don't have a lot to do for the next 3 weeks if you are looking for some
short-term R coding work to be done...

Matthew T. Pratola                           http://zynec.homelinux.net
mtpratol _at_ cs.sfu.ca     Home: 604.899.8845     Office: 604.291.4983
Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science, Simon Fraser University