booting from usb pen drive

Jeff Layton jeffrey.b.layton at lmco.com
Mon Nov 24 09:22:08 EST 2003

John Hearns wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 15:07, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > Good morning!
> >
> >    A friend of mine and I have been talking about this type
> > of thing for about a year now. Our idea was to put a base
> > install on a CF card and boot from it.
>
> All you need is a CF to IDE adapter.
> Google will find plenty, eg.
> http://www.cfide.co.uk/compact_flash_ide_adapters.shtml
> The Compact Flash card then plugs straight on an IDE cable.
> If you put a Linux image on the CF card the machine will boot it just
> the same as from a hard disk.
> (Of course I mean you read from the CF and boot to RAM)

   We were thinking of actually booting and running off
the CF card with it being mounted as RO. We  would have
to move certain things to a RAM disk such as parts of
/var, /dev (probably), and a few others. However, using it
with something like Warewulf which has already solved
most of the details would be really neat. I'll have to think
about trying this one. Thanks for the pointer!

Jeff

--
Dr. Jeff Layton
Aerodynamics and CFD